Log In or Register
for full access
to the site content.

2018-19 Fraser Health Strategic Energy Management Plan (SEMP)

Environmental sustainability is a Lower Mainland Facilities Management (LMFM) key client outcome, which supports the three year Fraser Health (FH) Strategic and Operational plan to improve patient outcomes and make our operations more sustainable. Energy Management and Conservation is a key focus area from our Energy and Environmental Sustainability (EES) Strategic Framework.
 
Commitment: The LMFM EES team is committed to reducing the exposure to energy cost escalations, demonstrating environmentally responsible development and supporting the public sector emission reduction legislation. Setting goals and energy reduction targets is vital to measuring the success of this Strategic Energy Management Plan (SEMP).
o The short term target of the F19 fiscal year is to reduce the overall energy consumption by 2.5% (made up of 1.7 GWh of electricity and 27,000 GJ of natural gas). This will be achieved by implementing the technical projects and initiatives as detailed in section 5.5, utilizing the
approved energy project budget of $2.5m.
o The long term target is to reduce the Energy Use Intensity (EUI) by 15% compared to the 2007 baseline by 2020. The downward trend in EUI from 2007 can be seen below in figure 1. By focusing on individual site energy reduction opportunities, the 15% target is expected to be
achieved before 2020.

 

Energy Cost Management: The FH utility cost in 2017 was over $18m and 88% of this cost was related to energy (electricity and natural gas) consumption, with water and sewer making the remaining 12% of the cost. The overall cost for energy is 4.5% higher than 2016, and the majority of this can be attributed to the BC Hydro rate increase of 3.5%. With no significant portfolio changes planned, we expect this trend to maintain in 2018 with a 3% hydro rate increase in 2018. The energy expenditure would have been significantly higher without the implementation of energy reduction initiatives and the cumulative cost avoidance. Since the F10 fiscal year, as shown below in figure 2, the cumulative cost avoidance is estimated at over $9.3m.
 
To determine how effective our Energy Management program has been to date, we use a “Business As Usual” (BAU) scenario to analyse the effect of energy conservation projects and initiatives. As seen below in figure 3, the actual consumption increase from the base year of 2007 is 29%, with a portfolio growth of 37% (includes MSA General Hospital). There has been a 13% energy consumption avoided, due to energy projects. Without our comprehensive Energy Management program, the increase in consumption would have been 42%.
 
Planned Actions: To ensure that we continue the momentum and build on the Energy Management program successes, the following summary of planned actions will be undertaken:
o Reaffirm leadership support and governance
o Continue to report on energy performance and update targets
o Identify and implement energy conservation initiatives in our existing building portfolio
o Improve LMFM integration for new projects
These four action items will drive our SEMP towards the 2020 target and minimize the environmental
impact from our healthcare facilities on the health of the populations and patients that we serve.
 
For more information on the 2018-19 Fraser Health SEMP, find the full report here:

https://bcgreencare.ca/resource/2018-19-fraser-health-strategic-energy-management-plan-semp