You don’t have to wait for World Oceans Day (June 8) to celebrate the critical role these ecosystems play in our lives.
Did you know?
- The ocean covers 70% of the Earth’s surface.
- With every breath we take, 50-70% of our oxygen comes from phytoplankton and algae in the ocean.
- The ocean feeds us: it is the #1 source of protein for 1 billion people.
- All the freshwater we drink is cycled through the ocean.
- The ocean regulates our climate and governs our weather patterns.
- The ocean is where all life once began.
- The ocean is worth $31 trillion to the world economy.
- In our region, we are fortunate to live alongside the Salish Sea, one of the most productive, biodiverse and geo-diverse areas in the world, and also one of Canada’s most at-risk ecosystems.
Overfishing, ocean acidification, species and habitat loss, and plastic pollution are just some of the issues facing our oceans.