G+L Toolkit: Celebrate our Oceans!
You don't have to wait for World Oceans Day (June 8th) to celebrate the critical role these ecosystems play in our lives.
Did you know?
- The ocean covers 70% of the Earth’s surface?
- And with every breath we take, 50-70% of our oxygen comes from phytoplankton and algae in the ocean.
- The ocean feeds us – the ocean is the #1 source of protein for 1 billion people.
- All the freshwater we drink is cycled through the ocean.
- The ocean regulates our climate and governs our weather patterns.
- The ocean is where all life once began.
- The ocean is worth 31 trillion dollars to the world economy.
- In our region, we are fortunate to live alongside the Salish Sea, is one of the most productive, biodiverse and geodiverse areas in the world, and also one of Canada’s most at-risk ecosystems.
Overfishing, ocean acidification, species and habitat loss, and plastic pollution are just some of the issues facing our oceans.
Learn what you can do with the toolkits:
- World Oceans Day Celebration
- A Plastic Ocean