Climate Resilience & Adaptation
Climate Resilience & Adaptation Program
Launched in March 2016, the Climate Resilience & Adaptation Program emerged from a recognition that (i) climate risks and impacts to health infrastructure already have cascading impacts on health service delivery, and (ii) development of site-based low-carbon adaptation options will increase the long-term resilience of health campuses and organizations to climate shocks and stresses. Co-benefits with human health and emissions reductions are identified and enhanced wherever possible.
Current Projects & Initiatives (select)
- Integrated Climate Vulnerability Assessment & Adaptation Planning with Vancouver Coastal Health (Healthy Built Environment Team), Fraser Health (Public Health), Health Emergency Management BC (Lower Mainland).
- Moving Toward Climate Resilient Health Facilities for Fraser Health (Lower Mainland Facilities Management).
- Resilience Guidelines for Health Infrastructure Design & Operations (Lower Mainland Facilities Management).
- Mobilizing Building Adaptation & Resilience (MBAR), led by BC Housing.
- Designing Climate Resilient Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (MURB), led by UBC.
Publications & Contributions
- Moving Toward Climate Resilient Health Facilities for Vancouver Coastal Health (Lower Mainland Facilities Management, 2018)
- Green Infrastructure & Health Guide (Oregon Health and Outdoors Initiative, 2018)
- Building Greener Blocks: Green space design interventions for integrating health and climate resilience co-benefits (UBC CALP, forthcoming)
- Proposed Climate Change Impact and Resiliency Indicators for Canadian Health Care Facilities (Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care, forthcoming)
- Reducing Urban Heat Islands to Protect Health in Canada: an introduction for public health professionals (Health Canada, forthcoming)
- Evaluation of Energy Retrofit Options at Fraser Canyon Hospital (NRC, 2017)
The program shares experiences and exchanges knowledge with diverse stakeholders and audiences to reduce climate risks and build resilience at the health building, campus and community levels including:
Communities of Practice
- HealthADAPT Community of Practice (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Public Sector Climate Risk and Resilience Community of Practice, organized by the BC Climate Action Secretariat (contact: Julia.Berry@gov.bc.ca).
- Climate Risk Network, organized by the Fraser Basin Council (contact: email@example.com).
- Inspiring Climate Action: BC Professionals Adaptation Network, led by Royal Roads University Resilience by Design Lab
- Adaptation to Climate Change Professional Association Committee (ACTPAC), organized by SFU Adaptation to Climate Change Team (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Adaptation Community of Practice (ongoing, Metro Vancouver). Co-organizer with City of Vancouver, Simon Fraser University and Metro Vancouver.
- Practically Green Workshops Series for Sustainability Intrapreneurs (2015-17). Co-organizer with SAP, VanCity, Hootsuite and Vancouver Aquarium.
International Living Future Conference (April 2019, Seattle). Collaborating in a Future Climate: Challenges and Opportunities in Low-Carbon, Resilient Building Design. Panelist with Integral Group, University of British Columbia and Dunefield Consulting
Understanding Risk+ BC Built Environment 2018 (April 2018, Victoria). Resilient New Buildings: Low Carbon, Performance-Based and Multi-Hazard Designs in a Changing Climate. Panelist with BC Construction Association
Pacific North West Climate Resilient Healthcare Summit (December 2017, Seattle). Co-organizer with HealthCare Without Harm and Virginia Mason Hospital
ICLEI Livable Cities Forum (September 2017, Victoria). Climate Change and Human Health: Identifying Connections, Assessing Risks, and Moving to Action. Panelist with Health Canada, BC Housing, City of Windsor
National Health Leadership Conference (June 2017, Vancouver). Come hell or high water: Building resilience, managing risk and gaining returns from climate change. Panelist with Green Health Leaders Initiative and Island Health
GoGreen Seattle: A Conference to Green Your Business (March 2017, Seattle). Panelist with Virginia Mason Hospital and Public Health Seattle
Resilience 2.0: Healthcare’s Role in Anchoring Community Health & Resilience (January 2017, Boston). Organized by Healthcare Without Harm.
B.C. Public Sector Climate Action Leadership Symposium (November 2016). Panelist with the City of Vancouver and ICLEI
Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity Conference (October 2016), speaker.
- Climate Resiliency Design Guidelines (NYC, 2019)
- Operational Framework for Building Climate Resilient Health Systems (WHO, 2015)
Assessments & Toolkits
- Climate Change Toolkit for Health Professionals (Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment, 2019)
- Building Health Care Sector Resilience Toolkit (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2014)
- Health Care Facility Climate Change Resiliency Toolkit (Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care)
- Health Built Environment Linkages Toolkit: making the links between design, planning and health (PHSA, 2018)
Resilience Returns on Investments
- Safe Haven in the Storm: protecting lives and margins with climate-smart health care (HCWH, 2018)
- Climate Risk and Real Estate Investment Decision-Making (ULI, 2019)
Please contact Angie Woo, Climate Resilience & Adaptation, Lead for further information at email@example.com. Resource recommendations are very welcome!