PHSA named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers
Positive green impacts from PHSA staff
Green Initiatives Fund
- A bike repair workshop at Children’s and Women’s
- Revitalization of the “vintage fruit” trees at Sunny Hill Health Centre using non-stinging, pollinator Mason bees
- Fix It Willingdon, a series of series of hands-on repair events at 1795 Willingdon where staff bring in items that may need fixing (e.g., broken headphones, clothing that needs repairs, bikes that need new brake pads, etc.) and learn how to fix them
- A pilot project by the LM Labs BC Public Health Microbiology & Reference Laboratory that investigated how to reduce, reuse and return the cooling gel and ice packs that accompany temperature-sensitive materials in the lab
- Rooftop vegetable gardens at 601 West Broadway to promote healthy eating habits, urban gardening and food sustainability
If all these ideas have inspired you to come up with your own green initiative, don’t worry: the second annual Green Initiatives Fund will be launched later this year—stay tuned for more information in the coming months!
A range of environmental initiatives
PHSA has many more environmental initiatives in action every day at sites across BC, including over 70 active Green+ Leaders, standardized recycling programs at various PHSA sites, BCGreenCare (BC health care’s first and only social networking website designed to foster sharing information, resources, and actions on sustainability) and partnerships with BC Hydro and TravelSmart to save energy and cut transportation costs… just to name a few.